Normanton Common Primary Academy

Working Together to Inspire and Achieve

01924 890 576

Castleford Road, Normanton, West Yorkshire, WF6 1QU

SEND Information Report

This information explains the variety of ways in which we are able to support your child to reach his/her full potential during their time with us at Normanton Common Primary Academy.

Normanton Common Primary Academy is a mainstream setting. We are an inclusive school and welcome children with SEND as outlined in the 2014 SEND Code of Practice. Please see our admissions policy for further details.

At Normanton Common, we ensure that all pupils have access to an enriched environment and a stimulating curriculum that enables all children to enjoy and achieve their full potential. Children are encouraged to foster a keen desire to learn and do well and reach their goals in a safe and secure learning environment. As such, we are committed to narrowing the attainment gap between children with SEND and their non-SEND peers.

Our Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO) is Mr Adam Riby - please contact via the school office 01924-890576.

Our SEND Governor is Mrs Lynda Beavis.

The School works with due regard to the following guidelines:

The Special Educational Needs and Disability Code of Practice: 0 to 25

Schedule 1 of the Special Educational Needs and Disability Regulations 2014

The Equality Act 2010

Section 69(2) of the Children and Families Act 2014

How does school identify pupils with SEN?

Your child may be identified as having a special educational need if they are struggling to develop age appropriate skills, or they have identified needs which impact on their ability to learn in the classroom environment. Teachers will speak to the SENDCO if they are concerned about a child’s progress or think a child has specific needs. The SENDCO will then arrange a meeting with parents to discuss school’s concerns. With parental permission the child may then be placed on the SEND Register.

What is a special educational need?

‘A child or young person has SEN if they have a learning difficulty or disability which calls for special educational provision to be made for them. A child of compulsory school age or a young person has a learning difficulty or disability if they:

(a) have a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others of the same age; or

(b) have a disability which prevents or hinders them from making use of educational facilities of a kind generally provided for others of the same age in mainstream schools or mainstream post -16 institutions. (Taken from paragraph xiv, SEN Code of Practice 2015).

A child under compulsory school age has special educational needs if they fall within the definition at (a) or (b) above or would do so if special educational provision was not made for them (Clause 20 Children and Families Act 2014)’ (SEN Code of Practice 2015) 

What is a disability?

The Equality Act 2010 states that a person has a disability if they have a physical or mental impairment and the impairment has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on their ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities.

A physical or mental impairment includes: learning difficulties including specific learning difficulties; medical conditions including epilepsy, diabetes, more severe forms of asthma and eczema; autism; speech, language and communication impairments.

If the impairment has a substantial and long-term effect on a person’s ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities it may amount to a disability.

The Academy carries out accessibility planning for disabled pupils. Follow the link below to see our Accessibilty Plan:

Normanton Common Primary Academy Accessibility Plan

What should I do if I think my child has special needs or a disability?

If you feel that your child may have SEND then you should ask to speak to your child’s class teacher or make an appointment when you can discuss your concerns in more detail. Your child’s class teacher may also feel that it would be helpful to have the SENCO at the meeting. At the meeting we may feel that we do need to put in place some extra strategies and interventions to try and overcome your child’s barriers to learning. At this stage we would place your child on the SEN register.

How does school meet the needs of children with SEND?

Following the SEN Code of Practice, the School uses a graduated approach when meeting the needs of children with SEND. For many children, simple changes to the way that the curriculum is delivered can make a significant impact on removing the barriers to their learning and with these changes in place they are soon able to catch up with their peers and make expected levels of progress. In School we call this ‘differentiating the curriculum’. Your child’s class teacher will be doing this on a daily basis in order to ensure that all the children in the class can make the most of the learning experiences presented.

For some children this may not be enough to help them make expected progress and they may need something which is ‘additional to and different from’ that which is normally provided for all children. If a child requires this type of support the School will monitor them according to the SEN Code of Practice. You will be kept informed of the additional support that your child is receiving. A One Page Profile (OPP) will be written for your child, with your input which you can discuss with the class teacher. This could mean that the class teacher may be using different strategies to help your child to learn, or perhaps your child will be receiving some additional support in a small group alongside other children with similar needs. The small group work will be carefully targeted to address your child’s needs and his/her progress will be closely monitored and evaluated. You may be asked by school to support your child’s learning by carrying out some simple tasks at home such as extra reading practise, or providing opportunities to practise new skills that have been taught in class.

The School will monitor your child at this stage for a period of time, and inform you of their progress. Often this level of support in addition to the classroom curriculum differentiation will ensure that your child starts to make expected progress. However, for some children this may not be enough and the School, with your permission, will make the decision to increase the level of support provided. This means that the School have decided to involve some external professionals or agencies to provide them with more specialist advice. This external support might be from an Educational Psychologist; Speech and Language Therapist; Occupational / Physiotherapist; Specialist Advisory Teacher; or a Medical Professional.

As more people become involved in helping the School to meet your child’s needs, your child’s class teacher, SENCO, or Learning Mentor in School may feel it appropriate to talk to you about starting a My Support Plan. This will record the additional more specialist strategies and interventions that will be required to help overcome the barriers to your child’s learning. In addition, some staff or the whole school may undertake specific training to ensure that the environment and strategies used are appropriate to meet a child’s needs and staff have the relevant skills. Again, you will be kept informed throughout the process and will be able to make suggestions as to how you can support your child at home.

For the majority of children, actions taken using this graduated approach often mean that they begin to make expected levels of progress. If this is the case, then school, following discussions with yourself, may decide to continue to monitor your child or even decide that he/she no longer needs any additional support because they are making good progress.

Only a very small percentage of children require support of an additional nature beyond this. If this is the case, then the class teacher, SENCO or Headteacher may discuss with you the possibility of asking the Local Authority to undertake a statutory assessment of your child’s needs. If this is considered appropriate, then school will collect together all your child’s information and with your permission send it off to the Local Authority for them to review it at a panel meeting so that they can make a decision whether or not to carry out a statutory assessment of your child’s needs. Whilst this is taking place school will continue to meet your child’s needs.

Once the Local Authority receives a request to consider whether to make a statutory assessment or not, a legal timescale begins. The process of statutory assessment is carefully bound by the legislation and guidance within the SEN Code of Practice. The SENCO will be able to explain the process and timescales to you or alternatively you would find this in the SEN Code of Practice. If the decision is made to go ahead with a statutory assessment then the Local Authority will signpost you to guidance and support that will assist you through the process for example from the Information, Advice and Guidance Service for Parents (also known as Parent Partnership Services). 

What can I expect school to be do in order to meet my child’s special educational needs?

‘Quality First Teaching’ is an entitlement for all children and School are constantly striving to ensure that this is of a ‘good’ or ‘outstanding’ quality at all times in school. This is the classroom teaching that your child receives on a daily basis from the class teacher. Lessons are carefully differentiated to take account of different learning styles and abilities. In addition, school staff can gain knowledge and skills from the Inclusion Development Programmes for Dyslexia, Speech, Language and Communication needs, Behaviour and Autism which enhance their daily teaching practice in order to make the classroom environment and the delivery of the curriculum more accessible for children with identified needs. Teaching and learning is carefully targeted to meet individual need. This is called personalised learning.

Where appropriate, children may have access to additional small group activities for short periods of time alongside other children with similar needs. This may be to undertake work on particular intervention programmes or simply as a means of facilitating opportunities to re-visit skills, or knowledge where they may need additional practice or over-learning. The work carried out in small groups is carefully overseen by the class teacher who is responsible for monitoring the child’s progress and targeting the support carefully. Our school currently has a range of interventions available for children, but if a child was considered to need something different then this would be considered.

Normanton Common has a team of highly experienced Teaching Assistants (TAs) who support teaching and learning throughout the school. All classes in the infants have support staff to help deliver the curriculum and run targeted interventions. This ensures that most children can be supported effectively and it allows the children who require regular additional support from an adult to access this within a small group.

In KS2 the level of support is determined by the particular needs of each cohort (year group) of children. Pupils who have a Statement or EHCP have assigned adults to work with them. They deliver a personalised curriculum by working under the direction of the class teacher as well as taking advice from specialist external professionals and SENCO.

Provision maps are created by the class teacher to identify the type of interventions, strategies and resources that are needed to support individual children’s needs.

The School ensures that the learning environment is accessible to all children but if a child was considered to need something different then this would be considered.

Normanton Common is responsive in meeting the current needs of its pupils. As such, teachers tailor the interventions specifically to meet the needs of their cohort of children. We have developed a calm room in School for children with social, mental and emotional difficulties. Staff are trained in Makaton when required to meet the needs of specific pupils.

Visual cues are clearly displayed in classrooms and communal areas in order to facilitate easier access for our children who require a communication friendly environment. Visual timetables are clearly displayed in the classrooms where identified pupils require them.

The School has an effective working relationship with external agencies and makes reasonable adjustments to their teaching approaches and learning environments in response to any specialist advice.

How will my child’s learning needs be assessed and their progress monitored?

The School has a rigorous programme for assessing children’s learning. Some assessment takes place at the end of specific pieces of work to inform teacher’s planning of the children’s next steps in learning. Also, on-going assessments take place on a daily/regular basis to ensure that the opportunities presented to children are appropriate and give them the chance to succeed. The same systems and procedures are in place for children with special educational needs. In some instances additional assessments may be appropriate for children with special educational needs in order to determine their strengths and areas for development. If your child is not accessing the National Curriculum, an alternative assessment tool is used which shows their progress in more detail and will also show smaller but significant steps of progress. These are known as P Levels. For children who still need to take small steps in their learning when accessing the National Curriculum, B-Squared assessment materials are used to measure their progress. However, if it is felt that something more specialised is required then the relevant service could be contacted to discuss this.

At the end of each Key Stage (i.e. Year 2 and Year 6) all children are required to be formally assessed using Standard Assessment Tests (SATs). This is something that the Government requires all schools to do and the results are published nationally at the end of each academic year.

All pupils at Normanton Common Academy who are identified as having a Special Educational Need or disability have a One Page Profile. Aspirational targets are set for all children and these are shared with children so that they are aware of what they need to learn next. Where relevant children are engaged in the discussions relating to how much progress they feel they have made. Parents are invited to the reviews of OPP’s and their contribution to the setting of new targets is welcomed. Once a new OPP has been written, school will carefully monitor the progress being made. If it is felt that, for any reason, the targets are inappropriate, school will discuss more appropriate targets with parents at the earliest opportunity rather than waiting for an ineffective OPP to run its full course. In addition, the progress of children with a Statement of SEN/EHC Plan is formally reviewed at an Annual Review meeting with all the adults involved with the child’s education.

How is Normanton Common Academy accessible to children with SEND?

Normanton Common Academy was built in 1999 and is on one level. Only minor adjustments are required based upon the needs of pupils. However, there may be times in which the footprint of the building may not favour all pupils. In such circumstances, we will consult with inclusion specialists to ensure that the environment is suitable for all learners and respond appropriately. In some circumstances, this may include a referral to alternative provision if this is in the best interest of the child.

Who are the people providing services to children with SEND at Normanton Common Academy?

Directly funded by the school:

  • Teaching Assistants (many with individual specific skills to support a wide range of needs)
  • Education Welfare Officer (Jane Richardson) 
  • Pastoral Support Team
    • Learning Mentor (Helena Ho)
    • Pastoral Support Manager (Sarah Conway)

Outside specialist support agencies purchased by the school:

  • Communication and Interaction Advisory Team
  • Educational Psychology Service
  • Learning Support Services – for pupils with cognition and learning difficulties
  • Sensory Services for pupils with visual or hearing needs
  • Habilitation Services – for pupils with Physical and Visual difficulties
  • School Nursing services

Outside services paid for centrally by the Local Authority but delivered in school:

  • Speech and Language Therapy (provided by the NHS)

Outside services provided and paid for by the Health Service but delivered in school:

  • Occupational Therapy
  • Physiotherapy 

How does school improve emotional and social development?

We have a newly established Pastoral Support Team to support and promote pupils' wellbeing. They work with children who need support with their social and emotional development. They work alongside class teachers to promote good behaviour and support both parents and pupils when behaviour difficulties arise. They report all incidents of bullying and ensure that the appropriate action is taken as specified in the Anti-Bulling Policy.

We are aware that children with SEND may have increased vulnerability and therefore monitor their well-being closely. This team also works alongside the Education Welfare Officer to improve punctuality and attendance.

We ensure that children with SEND have the opportunity to take part in all aspects of school life e.g School Council Membership, class representative, roles of responsibility. Children are encouraged to take part in extracurricular activities, sporting events and residential visits with appropriate adaptations as necessary.

How does school support pupils moving through phases of education?

Our Transition Policy outlines how we support children through changes in their educational journey. For SEND children these times of change can be particularly difficult and they may experience increased anxiety. We offer extra transition arrangements for SEND pupils and this includes extra visits to their new classroom, planned sessions with new members of staff they may be working with and making a transition booklet which includes photographs of their new environment and staff they will be working with.

How effective is the School’s provision for children with special educational needs?

The School has a robust policy for special educational needs. The policy is implemented by all members of staff and its effectiveness is monitored and evaluated by the Governing Body on an annual basis. The SENDCO meets with the SEN Governor on a regular basis, enabling up to date general information on the progress of children with SEND and the provision made for them to be shared with the whole governing body.

All interventions are recorded and evaluated on class provision maps. Personalised targets are identified for individual pupils on their OPP’s and the impact of this intervention is evaluated carefully throughout each term. Evidence of the impact is recorded for each pupil on the review section of the OPP. Parents/carers and children (if appropriate) are invited to an SEN review meeting at the end of each term (Autumn, Spring and Summer) to evaluate the provision in place and to discuss future intervention, strategies and courses of action.

The effectiveness of provision is monitored regularly through data analysis which enables future actions and priorities to be identified. 

What is the School’s complaints procedure?

Click here to read the school's procedures for handling complaints.

It is the school's intention to resolve all concerns swiftly and amicably, but In the event of any difficulties, the school will ensure that:

  • Parents are able to bring any concerns to the attention of the Class Teacher and or the SENCO / Headteacher
  • If the concern is not resolved and the parent wishes to pursue the matter further, the school will ensure that parents are aware of the LA’s SEND disagreement resolution service. Further information about this process is available from the LA and the Parent Partnership Service.

Where can I find information on where the local authority’s local offer is published?

Please access this information via the link below: